Friday, August 15, 2008

Chelsea Ann

Now that summer term is over, and I have a little extra time on my hands, I figured that I should write about Chelsea's birth.

Josh and I decided that it would be best to induce so that he would be guaranteed time off from work. So we set up Chelsea's induction for August 4th, at 6:00 a.m. The hospital called on Friday to ask a few questions, and to ask me to call in at 5:00 a.m. on Monday to make sure that there were enough beds, just in case a lot of women went into labor in the middle of the night. I figured that the chances that there wouldn't be room for me at 6 a.m. was slim. Well go figure.

We called Monday morning, and they asked us to call back in an hour, because 7 women had gone into labor in the middle of the night and there was no room for me. Crazy! Well at the time I was quite upset. I was up and ready to go to the hospital and have this baby! Well after calling every hour to check for room, we finally got the okay to come in at noon. Julianne came over to watch Natalie during her nap, then take her over to Grandma's after she woke up.

We left and went to the hospital at noon. After getting there, and getting settled in the room they finally started the IV at about 1:30 p.m. Basing my labor and delivery time off of Natalie, we thought Chelsea would be here early on the 5th. Luckily, this one was much faster. My doctor came in at about 4:15 p.m. to break my water. At 7 p.m. my body really started going fast. The doctor came back to the hospital and the nurses got everything ready. I started pushing at 8:00 p.m. and out little angel arrived 4 minutes later!


Chelsea was absolutely a doll when she was born. She opened her eyes and looked right at us. One of the first pictures Josh took of Chelsea she had her eyes wide open. She was more than a pound bigger than Natalie. Chelsea weighed in at 7 pounds 14 ounces. She was the exact same length as Natalie, 20 1/2 inches.

One thing I absolutely loved that my hospital did, was they kept Chelsea in the room right after her birth. Instead of taking her to the nursery to do her shots, check vitals, and give her her first bath, they did it all right there in the room with me! It was nice knowing that she was not going to be taken away, for even a minute after she was born. Josh was able to give Chelsea her first bath.

Chelsea and I both recovered from the delivery very well. I was ready to go home, and be with my family, so we asked permission from both our doctors to go home a day early. They both approved, and 24 hours after delivery we were on our way home.

Chelsea is a wonderful baby, and Natalie is being a wonderful big sister. She absolutely loves her little sister. She loves to give her kisses, and hugs, and smother her with love. We sure love our little angels. They really are a piece of heaven in our home!

1 comments:

Cami said...

Hey Josh and Emily! This is Cami (Josh's cousin). I found the link to your blog on your facebook page. Little Chelsea is so cute! Congrats! You can check out our blog if you want...adventuresofmc.blogspot.com If you don't mind, I want to add you guys to our links :)